Sep 29, 2009

#SPICY SCRAMBLED EGGS

SPICY SCRAMBLED EGGS

Bangalore is famous for its fresh vegetables fruits and leafy vegetables. The sight of the fresh aromatic vibrant greens with the mud from the fields still sticking to roots inspires me to get cooking. :P. The freshest greens would be usually available with the carts on the road sides. I usually prefer to buy my coriander and curry leaves with these guys coz the aroma of these greens definitely adds to the flavour of whatever you are cooking. And I cant do without fresh corinder. You would always find a bunch of coriander in a plastic container in my fridge. I find the best way to preserve coriander for a longer time is by chopping off the roots from the coriander bunch and then storing it away in an air tight container in the fridge...


The most frequently available greens is Pudina and I try to use it as much as possible in my dishes.

I am an Eggitarian and I love anything to do with eggs (except boiled eggss :P) and i keep experimenting with different ingredients to come up with the best possible scrambled eggs which is one of my all time favourites.

I came up with a good way of making a spicy scrambled egg and here is how I made it.

You would require:

Eggs ----- 2
Jeera(Cumin Seeds)--- 1 tsp
Onion ----- 1 medium chopped
Chilli ----- 1 medium cut to 1" sized pieces
You can also finely chop it if you like the heat of the chillies
Garlic ----- 3 pods finely chopped
Pudina leaves ------ few coarsely chopped
Turmeric ------ 1/4 tsp
Chilli powder ------ 1/4 tsp or according to taste
Salt ------ according to taste
Pepper powder ------ a pinch or according to taste
Coriander ------ few leaves finely chopped.
The stems can be used too as stems are supposed to add to the whole flavour
Oil ------ for tempering



Beat the eggs with adding the salt according to taste. I find that adding salt while beating helps in the salt dissolving properly.
Heat some cooking oil in Kadhai or a heavy bottomed pan. When the oil is suffecinetly heated add the Jeera. Allow it to splutter.
Add the garlic green chillies, fry for a minute and then add the onions. When the onions start turning translucent or pink in color add the chopped pudina leaves and fry for another minute.
Now add the turmeric powder chilli powder and fry for a few seconds. Now add the beaten eggs. The eggs should be added on high flame so that the coagulation takes place properly.
Keep stirring on high heat till you get the required consistency of scrambled egg. Just before removing from fire add the coriander and pepper powder. Check seasoning.
If the salt is less, extra seasoning can be added at this stage.

VARIATIONS:

Some people like adding Dhania/Fenugreek powder and Jeera/Cumin powder. This can be added at the stage when turmeric powder is being added
I like using dried herbs like chives and Italian seasoning in my cooking. These would be available at some big supermarkets. They can be added along with pepper powder.
Left over seasoning that are got with pizzas (oregano seasoning) is also a good option.

No comments:

Post a Comment